- 2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup Neocate
- 120 g Nuttalex margarine
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250-300 grams pure icing sugar (sifted twice)
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven 160C.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and knead until smooth.
- Roll the kneaded dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until approximately 1 cm thick.
- Refrigerate the dough until chilled for about 30 minutes.
- Place chilled dough on bench and remove the baking paper. Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper and then bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden. Tip: Cookies will expand when cooking so make sure you leave approximately 5cm space between cookies on the tray.
- Decorate with icing when the cookies are cool.
- Place your egg white into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Make sure that all your equipment is washed and completely dry and free from impurities or fats as grease will cause the icing to fail.
- Gradually add one tablespoon of pure icing sugar at a time to the egg white. Ensure you beat the mixture well with a wooden spoon between each addition until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved. Continue until the mixture is very white and smooth and has reached the consistency of a thick syrup. It is not recommended that an electric beater be used due to the risk of over beating.
- Add 2 drops of lemon juice and continue beating for a further 2 minutes before adding more icing sugar. Once the lemon juice has been added, decrease the amount of icing sugar added to a teaspoon and continue mixing in each addition until the mixture is firm enough to hold a peak.
- The icing is now ready for use and we would recommend using the icing immediately as this is when it is at its best.